: Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Time: 15:00 CET – 16:00 CET
Platform: Google Hangouts
- Mr. Baher Esmat, Vice President of Stakeholder Engagement for the Middle East at ICANN
- Mr. Hafeth Yahamdi, ICT strategist in business development, Tunisia
- Ms. Doaa Shendy, Internet Policy Analyst, Lawyer Stanley group, Egypt
- Mr. Huathaifa Bustanji, Judicial Assistant at Judicial inspection department, Jordan
- Mr. Michel Oghia, Journalist & 2015 ISOC IGF Ambassador, Turkey
- Ms. Ines Hfaiedh, ICT Implementation in Education specialist, Tunisia
The sustainable development goals (SDGs) are a new, universal set of goals, targets, and indicators set by the UN member states to frame their agendas and political policies over the next 15 years. The SDGs follow and expand on the millennium development goals (MDGs).There is a broad consensus that, the MDGs provided a focal point for governments to develop policies and overseas aid programs to end poverty and improve the lives of poor people as well as a rallying point for NGOs to hold governments to account.
Since 2001, the Arab World has recorded the largest growth in Internet users across the regions and in the world. There has been more than a 600% increase in the number of citizens accessing the Internet. Some Arab countries have also launched initiatives for improving their education system and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) infrastructure.
A dynamic ICT infrastructure is a pre-requisite for a nation to fully participate in the global knowledge economy and to accelerate economic growth. What are the measures to extend mobile telephony, computers, Internet access, and new electronic applications, all supported by a dynamic IT industry that can bridge the digital divide, boosts employment and economic growth ? What are the best practices from the Arab countries who significantly progressed towards becoming knowledge-based economies by making major improvements in ICT ?
Today, we live in a fast progressing information era in which Mena region countries need to focus more on knowledge creation policies and advanced technological development which are together termed as ‘Knowledge Economy’ that will help ‘Connecting the next billion’. IGmena google hangout will look at what are the smart policies and important steps to meet all requirements that define a knowledge economy ? How these efforts yielded positive or negative Internet governance ? What are the short, medium, long-term policies to achieve SDGs in the Mena region ?
- What are the Sustainable development goals SDGs and why do we need another set of goals?
- What is the dynamic for enhancing ICT infrastructure to fully participate in the global knowledge economy to accelerate economic growth ?
- What are the SDGs policies for growth to boost employment, mobile telephony, computers, Internet access, new electronic applications, and IT industry ?
- What is the immediate outlook for the ICT industry? What are the challenges that lie ahead given the ongoing global economic problems?
- What are the best practices from the Arab countries who significant progressed towards becoming knowledge-based economies by making major improvements in ICT
- What about cybersecurity? We see a lot of concern now in the mainstream media about identity theft, cyber crime, even cyber war ?
- Have we really bridged the Digital Divide? What is your vision right now ? Would the SDGs build a more open, inclusive and transparent Internet governance?